Roanoke Marshes LightEdit profile
Roanoke Marshes Light was a screw-pile lighthouse in North Carolina.History
Little is recorded about this light, which was replaced in 1955 with an automated light on a shorter tower. It marks the south entrance to the channel through Croatan Sound, to the east of a marshy shoal extending from the western shore. Ironically this places it in the deepest bottom in the area.
There was a predecessor light on this site, beginning in 1857. The pictured light, of conventional screw-pile construction, was lit in 1877. When the light was decommissioned, an unsuccessful attempt was made by a private party to move it, but the house was lost in the sound.
In 2004, a replica of the light was dedicated at the Roanoke Island Maritime Museum in Manteo, North Carolina.