River Road School

The River Road School, is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. The schoolhouse was built in 1893 and is the home of the Lyndhurst Historical Society. The schoolhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 11, 1977.

History

A piece of land was donated on January 9, 1804 by Jacob Van Winkle for the construction of a school. The first schoolhouse was erected that year at a cost of $162.20. The first schoolhouse was replaced in 1849 by a two-story frame building. This second schoolhouse was torn down in 1893 and replaced by the current building at a cost of $2,541.83. The cupola and bell from the second schoolhouse were salvaged and added to the current schoolhouse.

Little Red Schoolhouse

The Lyndhurst Historical Society operates the building as the Little Red Schoolhouse, a museum of local history.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com