Richmond Railway BridgeEdit profile
Richmond Railway Bridge in Richmond, south-west London crosses the River Thames immediately upstream of Twickenham Bridge. It carries National Rail services operated by South West Trains from London Waterloo to Reading, and lies between Richmond and St. Margarets stations.
After the railway came to Richmond station in 1846, the line was extended to Windsor. Joseph Locke designed the original bridge with three 100-foot cast iron girders supported on stone-faced land arches with two stone-faced river piers. Due to concerns over its structural integrity, the bridge was rebuilt in 1908 reusing the existing piers and abutments to a design by the London & South Western Railway's chief engineer, J W Jacomb-Hood.
The bridge was declared a Grade II listed structure in 2008, providing protection to preserve its special character from unsympathetic development.
Richmond Railway Bridge looking downstream with Twickenham Bridge in the background
Richmond Railway Bridge manufacturer's plaque
Thames as seen from Richmond Railway Bridge