Rhodes Hall
Rhodes Memorial Hall, commonly known as Rhodes Hall, was built as the home of furniture magnate Amos Giles Rhodes, proprietor of Atlanta-based Rhodes Furniture. The Romanesque Revival house occupies a prominent location on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Inspiration
This Romanesque Revival 9,000 square foot house was inspired by the Rhineland castles that Rhodes admired on a trip to Europe in the late 1890s. Architect Willis F. Denny II designed the unique home with Stone Mountain granite, incorporating medieval Romanesque, Victorian, and Arts and Crafts designs as well as necessary adaptations for an early 20th-century home. After two years of construction, the house was completed in 1904.

Victorian architecture
Known as Le RĂªve or "The Dream", Rhodes Hall is one of the finest intact expressions of late Victorian architectural design in Atlanta. The grandest feature of the interior is a magnificent series of stained and painted glass windows that rise above a carved mahogany staircase. The three-panel series depicts the rise and fall of the Confederacy from Fort Sumter to Appomattox, and includes medallion portraits of over a dozen Confederate heroes.

Features of house
The house cost Rhodes $50,000 to build in 1904. Wired for electricity when it was built, Rhodes Hall is a prime example of the fascination that new technology held for Atlantans at the turn of the century. Over 300 light bulbs light the entire house. The house also had electric call buttons in most rooms as well as a security system. Among the materials used to build the home, the mahogany was from the West Indies and the exterior granite was brought over in 500-pound (227kg) blocks in wagons from Stone Mountain, located about 25 miles or 40 kilometers east of Atlanta. Although Rhodes Hall is now surrounded by commercial buildings and heavy traffic, it has survived damage due to careful historic preservation and restoration efforts. After the death of Rhodes and his wife, their children deeded the house to the state of Georgia, with a restriction that it be used for " historic purposes". It was used to house the Georgia State Archives from 1930 to 1965. After the Archives moved to a more modern building, Rhodes Hall continued to provide archive services as a branch. In 1983 Rhodes Hall was transferred to the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, which undertook a long-term restoration program. The main stair and windows, which had been moved to the new Archives, were brought back and re-installed in 1990. From 1984 to 1992, the house was a haunted house attraction every year for Halloween, prior to the renovation.

Current Use
Today, the home is used as a historic house museum and the offices of the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. The Historic Site is also available for rentals including weddings, receptions, corporate events, cocktail gatherings, and birthday parties. Special Events Contact There are house tours on Tuesdays (from 11 - 3, the last tour starts at 2) and on Saturdays (from 10 - 2, the last tour starts at 1). Group tours can be given on other days with advance arrangement.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com