Republic PolytechnicEdit profile
Republic Polytechnic (Chinese: 共和理工学院), commonly abbreviated to RP, is a tertiary institution located in Singapore. It was the first school system in Singapore to use Problem-based learning (PBL) pedagogy for all its diplomas.
RP’s project team began operating in the premises of Data Storage Institute, National University of Singapore in January 2002. On 1st July 2002, it shifted into Tanglin Campus which was previously occupied by the Ministry of Education, Singapore. It opened its doors to the first intake of students in 2003 before moving to the current Woodlands campus in 2006.
As of February 2010, RP has six schools and one centre, a total of 36 courses are on offer: School of Applied Science, School of Engineering, School of Sports, Health and Leisure, School of Information and Communications Technology, School of Hospitality, School of Technology for the Arts and Centre for Culture and Communication.Green Campus
On 31st July 2007, RP's Woodlands campus was officially opened by Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. The campus was designed by Japanese architect, Fumihiko Maki and DP Architects. Completed in 2006, the new campus is able to cater 13,000 students. It is conceived as a campus with a central nucleus which contains 11 learning Pods (8-9 storeys high) which are unified by 2 elliptical decks of common facilities, namely The Lawn and The Agora.
Also know as a Paperless Campus, RP's Woodlands campus is backed by IT-supported network for both academic and administrative functions. It employs state-of-the-art technology, through its solid wireless IT infrastructure supported by a comprehensive hardware-software system. In line with its green approach, environmentally friendly features such as fritted glasses, flooring made from recycled nylon and tyres, and sunshade louvres were integrated in the building design. Replacing the conventional air-conditioning system, the campus is equipped with tanks containing chilled water, which are recharged at night using low tariff electrcity. This significantly reduce overall electric consumption.
In 2008, RP earned the ASEAN Best Practices for Energy Efficient Buildings Competition under the New and Existing Buildings category. While in November 2009, RP was awarded the Green Office Label under Project Eco-Office by the Singapore Environment Council. The Green Office Label (2001-2011) reaffirms RP as an environmentally friendly work place. RP was later honoured with the President*s Design Award in 2010. The campus was also the first to win the First-ever Singapore Green Mark Plantinum award for its eco friendly design.Schools and Centre
RP partners with local and overseas universities for advanced standing arrangements for its diploma programmes. Graduates who are interested in continuing their education overseas typically can obtain up to 1.0 - 1.5 years exemptions from a degree programme. Currently, RP has a selection of 36 full-time diplomas courses run by the following 6 schools and 1 centre:
- School of Applied Science
- School of Engineering
- School of Hospitality
- School of Information and Communications Technology
- School of Sports, Health and Leisure
- School of Technology for the Arts
- Centre for Culture and Communication
- RP School of Applied Science partnered National University of Singapore to launch a revolutionary project that "coaxes silkworms to spin high-strength silk fibres" that are stronger than kevlar
- A team of Diploma in Biomedical Engineering students from School of Engineering developed possibly the world's first iPhone-based portable brain control system
- The team which developed the i-Phone based portable brain control system won the Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES) Design 2011 Gold Award. They will represent Singapore in the 5th International Convention on Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology (I-CREATe) in Bangkok, Thailand.
- RP School of Hospitality opened a $2 million restaurant training laboratory, Oliva, which is fully manned by RP's hospitality students.
- RP School of Sports Health and Leisure developed a high-tech test of balance and stability
- RP School of Engineering clinched medals from three categories in the 17th Singapore Robotic Games.
- 26 January 2011, RP went into an exclusive partnership with the integrated resort, Resorts World Sentosa (RWS). Top performers from RP School of Hospitality will be selected to participate in a specialisation track in Theme Park and Attraction Management.
- RP and EON Reality, on 16 November 2010, signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The collaboration aims to expand the Interactive Digital Media (IDM) industry through student internship programmes, academic module development, laboratory research and more.
- Marina Bay Sands and RP signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on 9 September 2010.
- On 27 July 2010, International Business Machines (IBM) and RP, signed an agreement that makes the institution the first IBM Authorised Training Partner in ASEAN to offer professional certification and training on mainframe technology in Singapore and the region.
- To facilitate and support the growth of the sports industry, and to enhance the capability and professionalism of stakeholders in the industry, RP signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Singapore Sports Council on 13 May 2010.
- On 28 April 2010, RP signed a Memorandum of Understanding with High Tech Computer Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd (HTC) in which they will collaborate to train RP students in mobile application technology.
- Chan Jun Wei William - WorldSkills Singapore 2011 Gold Medallist in the category of Information Network Cabling
- Isabelle Li - Singapore National Table Tennis Paddler & Singapore Youth Olympic Games (YOG) Medallist
- Shafinas Abdul Rahman - Taekwon-do Athlete & Singapore Youth Olympic Games (YOG) Medallist
- Tabitha Nauser - 2nd Runner-up, Singapore Idol™(Season 3, 2009)
- Valerie Lim - Modern Pentathlon Athlete
Journey@RP, Rapport,Reflections on PBL (Problem-based Learning), Office of Student and Graduate Affairs Newsletter
OpenBuildings removed 2 media, updated 7 media and uploaded a media fileabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Radil Radenkov updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Georgi Sokolov updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Daljit79 updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
amuse updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com