Reebie Storage WarehouseEdit profile
The Reebie Storage Warehouse was built for the Reebie Storage and Moving Company in Chicago, Illinois, in 1922. Located at 2325-2333 North Clark Street in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, it is a widely recognized example of Egyptian Revival architecture. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places on March 21, 1979, and was designated a Chicago Landmark on September 1, 1999.
Architect George Kingsley (1870-1956) and sculptor Fritz Albert designed the warehouse. Albert was responsible for the exterior's terra cotta ornamentation. The moving company founders, John and William Reebie, are represented by the two statues of Ramses II that flank the main entrance. William Reebie (1859-1921) founded the company in 1880. The Reebie brothers wanted a building in a distinctive style, and John Reebie had seen another Egyptian Revival storage building in Stockton, California (designed in 1918 by Glenn Allen for the Dawson-Mayflower Moving Company). John Reebie had also visited Egypt at some time before 1921 as well.