Redland, BristolEdit profile
Redland is an affluent suburb and parish in Bristol, England. The suburb is situated between Clifton, Cotham, Bishopston and Westbury Park. The boundaries of the district are not precisely defined, but are generally taken to be Whiteladies Road in the west, the Severn Beach railway line in the south and Cranbrook Road in the east. Redland is also the name of a council ward, which covers a slightly different area. Redland ward extends to the southern part of Bishopston, and does not include the part of Redland south of Redland Road, which is in Cotham ward. Redland is known as a popular student accommodation area, particularly with second and third year students from the city's universities.
There are different views of the origin of the name Redland. One source says that in the 11th century it was known as Rudeland, possibly from Old English rudding, meaning "cleared land". Another source points to a mention in 1209 as Thriddeland, probably meaning "the third part of an estate". Yet another source refers to a mention in 1230 of Rubea Terra and a later mention as la Rede Londe, derived from the red colour of the soil. For many centuries Redland was in the large parish of Westbury-on-Trym. It was incorporated into the city and county of Bristol in 1896, although it remained in the ecclesiastical parish of Westbury-on-Trym until 1942. In 1732 the Redland estate was acquired by John Cossins (d.1759) from his wife's uncle George Martin. He replaced the old manor house with Redland Court, a house of Classical design. The estate was sold off in 1865, and the area was then developed for housing.
The suburb is known for its Georgian parish church Redland Chapel, which was built, probably by John Strahan with plasterwork by Thomas Paty, in 1742 as a private chapel for the local manor house, Redland Court, though it was not consecrated until 1790. It eventually became the parish church when the parish of Redland was separated from Westbury-on-Trym in 1942 and, unusually, has no dedication to a patron saint. It is a Grade I listed building. The Swedenborgian church in nearby Cranbrook Road was erected in 1899 and is still in use. The congregation was formed in 1791 and had a church in Terrel Street. The present gothic church was designed by a Mr Paul of Wells Road and was intended to be a lecture hall alongside a larger church that was never built. Neil Marchant wrote a book ' Like A River Flowing' which can be obtained at the church which covers the history of this church. Trinity United Reformed Church in Cranbrook Road closed recently and has been converted into houses. The church began in the recently demolished church hall of 1901 which was demolished for the car park. The main church was built in 1907 to the designs of Phillip Munro in a very Scottish kind of Gothic. Redland Park United Reformed Church on the Redland side of Whiteladies Road was founded in 1861 (as Redland Park Congregational Church). The building was destroyed in the Bristol Blitz in 1940, and the new church was opened in 1957.
Redland is home to the Redland High School which takes girls through their secondary years. It also houses the new flagship Redland Green School, a secondary school near to Redland Green.
Other listed buildings
The architecture of the buildings is generally Georgian but with some Victorian buildings and a small number of mid-twentieth century ones. Redland Court, which is now Redland High School, was built between 1732 and 1735 John Strachan, for John Cossins, on the site of an Elizabethan House which previously stood on the same site. It is grade II* listed, as are the piers and gates at the main entrance, the perimeter wall, piers and gates to Redland Chapel churchyard and the West gateway and attached garden wall and balustrade. There are at least twenty individual houses in Redland having grade II or II* listing.
The southern part of Redland is served by Redland railway station on the Severn Beach Line. Redland is served by bus services operated by First Bristol. The central part of Redland is served by routes 8 and 9, Cranbrook Road is served by routes 20 and 21, and several routes serve Whiteladies Road.
Redland is within the Bristol West Parliamentary constituency. Redland ward in the Bristol City Council returns two councillors every four years. The incumbents Sylvia Townsend and Fi Hance both represent the Liberal Democrats.
At the start of every May a fête is held on Redland Green. This is called the "Redland Fair", the "Redland May Fair", or simply "the may fair", and takes place on the May Day bank holiday. This is commonly regarded in Bristol as the best fair to go to on the May Day bank holiday.