Ramses StationEdit profile
Ramses Railway Station is the main railway station of Cairo, Egypt. The name is derived from the Ancient Egyptian pharaoh Ramses II whose statue was erected by Nasser on the square in 1955. The station was formerly known as Misr Station.
The original railway station was built as the terminal of the first rail link from Alexandria to Cairo in 1856. The current building was erected in 1892 and upgraded in 1955. As of January 2001 it was undergoing a major modernisation.
Outside of the station used to be the statue of Ramses II that was relocated to Memphis, Egypt, 12 miles (19 km) south of Cairo in the area of Giza on 25 August 2006.
Huda Shaarawi, the Egyptian feminist, famously removed her veil here.