Pyle railway stationEdit profile
Pyle railway station is a minor railway station in Pyle in Bridgend county borough, South Wales. The station is located at street level at Beach Road in Pyle. It is a stop on the South Wales Main Line, served by the Arriva Trains Wales Swanline Swansea to Cardiff Central regional train. These services are generally every 2 Hours during the day, with additional trains during the morning and evening peak.Facilities
The station has 2 platforms:
- Platform 1, for westbound trains towards Swansea
- Platform 2, for eastbound trains towards Cardiff Central
The station is unmanned - there is no ticket office nor are there any platform entry barriers. Passengers must purchase tickets on board trains.History
The original station at Pyle was opened by the South Wales Railway in 1850. It was relocated in 1876 and amalgamated with the former Llynvi and Ogmore Railway station of 1865, which served the branch lines to Tondu and Porthcawl. In the days of steam Pyle Junction, together with its extensive sidings, was quite an important strategic point on the South Wales railway system, not only for passengers, commuting from or visiting the resort of Porthcawl, but also for freight and bulk traffic, particularly the limestone from local quarries essential for the iron and steel industries. This is evidenced by the fact that during World War II there were two military 'pill-boxes' overlooking its approaches. This station was closed by the Western Region of British Railways in 1964 as part of the notorious Beeching Axe.
As part of the Swanline initiative, the present station was opened about ½ mile west in June 1994.
While the route of the branch from Pyle to Porthcawl has not been specifically protected, it has not suffered from extensive development, so it would be technically feasible to re-open the line, should the official view of the economics of such a proposal come round to support such a project at some time in the future.