Putnam CottageEdit profile
Putnam's Cottage, also known as Knapp's Tavern during the American Revolution . It is located on the Boston Post Road, or Route One, in Greenwich, Connecticut. Putnam's cottage was built by the Knapp family. The house was expanded by 1750 to become a tavern, serving travelers and troops during the American Revolution. In 1776, General George Washington stopped and fed his troops there as evidenced by his expense report on file with the Smithsonian Institution. The name of Revolutionary War General Israel Putnam became associated with the house as it was the scene of his daring and historic ride down a steep slope (called Put's Hill) with the redcoats in hot pursuit. This historic scene is depicted in the seal of the Town of Greenwich and the name of Putnam is found throughout the State of Connecticut. In the early 20th century, the house was purchased by the Israel Putnam House Association, Inc. Since 1910, the property has been the Historic Preservation Project of the Putnam Hill Chapter DAR Daughters of the American Revolution. The house had been "modernized" in the 19th century with features such as plaster ceilings, Victorian trim and a front porch. The Putnam Hill Chapter DAR raised funds to restore its 17th century appearance to coincide with the United States Bicentennial in 1976. Putnam Cottage is currently maintained as a Revolutionary Era Tavern museum open to the public as well as a location for historical reenactments each year.