Pudu Prison
The Pudu Prison was a prison in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Built in phases by the British colonial government between 1891 and 1895, it was located along Jalan Hang Tuah. The construction began with its 394-metre prison wall at a cost of Straits $16,000, and had been adorned with the world's longest mural at one point in its history. The cells were small and dark, each equipped with a window only the size of a shoebox.

Early years
Pudu Prison, or better known as Pudu Jail, was built on the site of a former Chinese burial ground. Pudu was by then a dense jungle area, with tigers occasionally roaming around. Construction began in 1891, using convicts as workforce. It took about four years and was finally complete in 1895. A few months after its completion, in August 1895, a cholera plague struck the prison complex, killing a few hundred inmates. Later, it was known that the plague was caused by the prison's water supply system. By then, the prison complex's water supply relied on an old well once belonged to the Chinese cemetery that previously stood on the prison's site. An inspection by the British colonial authorities revealed that the water in the well was severely contaminated by deadly viruses. Subsequently, the water problem was not fixed until 1898. Circa 1911, Richard Alfred Ernest Clark, a former soldier of the third battalion of the Middlesex Regiment, was one of the European warders in the history of Pudu. Early in its history, Pudu prison was the only prison in the State of Selangor and used to imprison men and women with short sentences. The prison was also self-sufficient as it had a vegetable garden that could produce enough food for its inmates annually. It later housed criminals including drug offenders and was a location for administering corporal punishment by rotan caning. The canings were administered in a special "caning area", so marked, not inside the building but in the grounds. It is no longer used as a prison and while it was once open as a museum, it can at present be viewed only from the outside. (A clear view is obtained from the monorail train between Imbi and Hang Tuah stations.) Until 2008, it served as a day-holding facility for prisoners attending court hearings.

In 1984, a talented inmate, Khong Yen Chong used some 2000 litres of paint to create an impressive mural of tropical scenes. This mural which measured some 860 feet by 14 feet was mentioned in the Guinness Book of Records as being the longest mural in the world. Khong, as an inmate, was not able to complete the mural. He returned later as a free man and volunteered his time to complete this memorable masterpiece.

Recent history
During World War II, the Japanese occupation forces incarcerated many Allied POWs there. 1986 saw the execution of Kevin Barlow and Brian Chambers, both Australian nationals, at Pudu for the drug trafficking of heroin. In 1996, after 101 years of use as a prison, it was formally closed and the inmates were deported to Sungai Buloh and Kajang prisons. It was used as a museum for a short period in 1997. Eight supporters of the Hindu Rights Action Force were arrested and incarcerated in Pudu Prison following the 2007 HINDRAF rally. They were later released due to lack of evidence. In June 2009, the government finally decided to destroy the complex by developing it in phases. When the MP for Bukit Bintang Fong Kui Lun ( DAP) asked why the building is not being retained as part of Malaysia's heritage, Deputy Finance Minister Awang Adek Hussain (UMNO-BN) replied: "To our opinion, it's not something to be proud of." In June 2010, the eastern wall of the Pudu Prison complex was destroyed to make way for a road widening project.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com