Public Safety BuildingEdit profile
Public Safety Building, or Old Post Office, is a historic building in Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland. It was constructed between 1902 and 1904, in the Classical Revival style. It is built of brick, rising from a monumental stone base. There is a slightly projecting pavilion with four engaged Ionic columns on the second and third floors. The building was built originally as the United States Courthouse and Post Office during the tenure of James Knox Taylor (1857-1929), who was Supervising Architect for the U.S. Treasury. It is considered to be typical of buildings constructed during Taylor's tenure to the specifications of the Tarsney Act, which required competition in the design of federal buildings.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.