Prospect Congregational Church

Edit profile
Prospect Congregational Church

Christ The King Presbyterian Church (formerly the building was known as Prospect Congregational Church) is a historic Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) church at 99 Prospect Street in Cambridge, Massachusetts near Central Square.


The historic church building was designed by Alexander Rice Esty and was constructed in 1851 for the First Evangelical Congregational Church in Cambridgeport (Prospect Congregational), a Reformed congregation gathered in 1827 by members of Lyman Beecher's Hanover Street Church in Boston. Beecher and William Augustus Stearns gave the dedicatory sermons in 1852.. The church building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 1985 the original congregation merged with another congregation to become North Prospect Union Church in Medford and the building stood vacant. In 1995 Christ the King Presbyterian Church (CTK), a Reformed congregation founded the previous year as a church plant, purchased the dormant church building.


The congregation currently worships weekly at 10:30 on Sunday mornings and also offers a Brazilian Portuguese/English service on Sunday evenings at 6:30 pm. The church offers youth and adult education Sunday school classes and has ministries for the arts, music, women, men, local community groups, and international missions. Christ the King is part of a network of city churches connected through Redeemer Presbyterian Church of New York, and CTK is home to a Church Planting Center working to plant other churches in the surrounding region of New England. Recent church plants include congregations in Dorchester and Newton. The Newton congregation meets at St. Mary's Episcopal Church on Sunday evenings.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via