Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles

Edit profile
Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles
The Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles was the Roman Catholic cathedral in the city of Bristol, England from 1850 to 1973. The Pro-Cathedral was replaced in 1973 by the Cathedral Church of SS. Peter and Paul, also known as Clifton Cathedral.

History
Work commenced on the building in 1834, but halted the following year when the foundations failed on what was a challenging hillside site. A second attempt to reinforce the foundations was made in 1843, but this again failed and the building lay abandoned until 1848 when a roof was placed on the half-completed building so that it could be used as a church. Two years later, in 1850, Clifton was made an episcopal see and the church became the Pro-Cathedral, intended to act in this capacity until a more fitting cathedral church could be constructed. In 1965 architects were commissioned to undertake the design of a new cathedral on a different site in Clifton. Construction began in March 1970 and completed in May 1973. That same year, on June 29th, the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul, the new cathedral was consecrated and opened and the pro-Cathedral was closed. The cathedral and site became the home of a Steiner school until 2002, when it was sold for redevelopment. During 2007 the space was run as a theatre and art venue by The Invisible Circus and Artspace Lifespace.

Future
The site has been acquired by Urban Creation, a property development company. The Grade II* listed Cathedral and associated buildings are presently under conversion for use as apartments and offices.