Priory Church, LeominsterEdit profile
The Priory Church, Leominster, Herefordshire, England is an Anglican parish church, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The building was constructed for a Benedictine Priory in about the 13th century, although there had been an Anglo-Saxon monastery in Leominster, possibly on the same site. In 1539 the east end of the church was destroyed along with most of the monastic buildings, but the main body of the church was preserved.
Quatrefoil piers were inserted between 1872-79 by Sir George Gilbert Scott.Bells
The bells of the church are very rare. There are ten now, but the back eight bells were cast by Wm Evans of Chepstow. They are the only original ring of eight bells to be cast by Evans at the same time (1756). In 1894, two new bells were cast by John Warners of London.
The Tenor weighs 22 cwt 3 qtr 0 lb (2,548 lb/1,156 kg) and is in E-flat.