Pratapgad
Pratapgad (also transcribed Pratapgarh or Pratapgadh) is a large fort located in Raigad district, in the state of Maharashtra in India. Significant as the site of the Battle of Pratapgad, the fort is now a popular tourist destination.

Geography
Pratapgad is located 15 kilometres from Poladpur and 22 kilometres from Mahabaleshwar, a popular hill-station in the area. This fort stands 1,080 metres above sea level. . The fort is built on a spur which overlooks the road between the villages of Par and Kinesvar.

History
The Maratha king Shivaji commissioned Moropant Trimbak Pingle, his prime minister, to undertake the construction of this fort in order to defend the banks of the Nira and the Koyna rivers, and to defend the Par pass. It was completed in 1656 . The Battle of Pratapgarh between Shivaji and Afzal Khan was fought below the rampants of this fort on November 10, 1659. This was the first major test of the fledgling kingdom's army, and set the stage of the establishment of the Maratha empire. Pratapgad continued to be involved in regional politics. Sakharam Bapu, a well-known minister of Pune, was confined by his rival Nana Phadnis in Pratapgad in 1778. He was later moved from fort to fort until he finally died at Raigad. In 1796, Nana Phadnis, while escaping from the intrigues of Daulatrao Shinde and his minister Baloba, assembled a strong garrison in Pratapgad before heading to Mahad. In 1818, as part of the Third Anglo-Maratha War, Pratapgad surrendered by private negotiation. This was a great loss to the Maratha forces, as Pratapgad was an important stronghold, had a large garrison, and could annoy much of the country round Wai. A 17-foot high equestrian bronze statue of Shivaji was unveiled by Javaharlal Nehru, then Prime Minister of India, on the 30th November 1957, the same year a road was constructed by the Public Works Department from Kumbhrosi village up to fort. A guest house and a national park were built inside the fort in 1960. The fort is currently owned by Udayan Raje Bhosale, the heir of the Satara princely state.

Structure
The fort can be divided into the lower fort and upper fort. The upper fort was built upon the crest of the hill. It is roughly square, 180m long on each side. It has several permanent buildings, including a temple to the god Mahadev. It is located at the northwest of the fort, and is surrounded by sheer cliffs with drops of up to 250m. The lower fort is around 320m long and 110m wide. It is located at the southeast of the fort, and is defended by towers and bastions ten to twelve metres high. The Afzul tower extends out from the fort proper and defends the approach to the fort. It is said to have been constructed after the Battle of Pratapgad, and Afzul Khan's head is said to be buried under the tower. In 1661, Shivaji was unable to visit the temple of the goddess Bhavani at Tuljapur. He decided to dedicate a temple to the goddess at this fort itself. This temple is on the eastern side of the lower fort. The hall has been rebuilt since the original construction, and consists of wooden pillars about 50' long, 30' broad and 12' high. The shrine is made of stone, and contains a clothed black stone image of the goddess. The roof of the temple is flat inside, but covered in lead covering put up by the Satara Raja Pratapsinh (1818-1839). A small spire or shikhar covers the shrine. A darga of Afzul Khan is located a short while away from the fort to the south-east.

Tourism
Pratapgad is usually visited as a day-trip from Mahabaleshwar, a popular tourist destination located 25 kilometres away.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • viraj shinde
    viraj shinde updated 4 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • viraj shinde
    viraj shinde uploaded a media file
    agag m dsc02328pratapgad
    about 5 years ago via Mobile
  • viraj shinde
    viraj shinde commented
    Pratapgad is one of the most famous forts in Maratha history. Situated at a distance of 25 kms from Mahabaleshwar, the historic Pratapgad Fort was built by the Maratha chieftain Chhatrapati Shivaji in 1656, to control the rebellious rulers of the nearby Javali Basin. Perched at a height of 900 meters above sea level, it is famed for the historic encounter between Shivaji and the Bijapuri general Afzal Khan. It is here that Emperor Shivaji, in spite of being attacked by tiger claws killed Afzal Khan. It is said that Shivaji was blessed with a shining sword at the temple of Goddess Bhavani located here. A thrilling ride gets you up the motorable road to the top where the Fort is perched.
    about 5 years ago via Mobile