Portsmouth Friends Meetinghouse Parsonage and CemeteryEdit profile
Portsmouth Friends Meetinghouse, Parsonage, and Cemetery (also known as Portsmouth Friends Meeting House or Portsmouth Evangelical Friends Church) is a historic Friends Meeting House and cemetery of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), at 11 Middle Road and 2232 E. Main Road in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
In 1638, exiled religious dissidents from Massachusetts founded Portsmouth, the second oldest colonial community in Rhode Island. The Quaker community developed shortly after the community was founded.
The current meetinghouse was built around 1699-1700. The building was used as a Quaker house of worship and school. During the American Revolution, British troops occupied the building. In 1784 the Moses Brown School was founded at the church. The meeting house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Currently, services are held weekly on Sundays at 10:30 am. and 7:00 p.m..