Portland Public MarketEdit profile
The Portland Public Market was a public market in Portland, Oregon, United States, built in 1933 at a widely-advertised cost of $1 million. Controversial and ambitious, it was never as successful as the Central Public Market, centered at southwest Fifth and Yamhill Streets, which it was intended to replace. Three stories tall with eleven-story towers, three blocks long, and with features including a gas station and a 500-seat auditorium, it was primarily a novelty, and struggled to retain tenants until finally closing in 1942. The architect was William G. Holford. The building was leased to the U.S. Navy in 1943, then sold to the Oregon Journal in 1948 as the paper's operations plant. The paper moved out in 1961, and the building stood unused until it was bought in 1968 by the City of Portland, which demolished it the next year to make way for an expansion of Harbor Drive, which was itself largely replaced in 1974 by Tom McCall Waterfront Park. There is currently no permanent public market in the city. As of September 26, 2007, Portlanders may have a renewed chance at a new Public Market. Until September 2007, the Historic Portland Public Market Foundation was considering Union Station as a possible site. However, it now appears that the former office of the United States Department of Homeland Security at 511 N.W. Broadway is the site favored by the Public Market foundation. However, this building has been awarded to PNCA for their use as a graduate studies building.