Portland Head LightEdit profile
Portland Head Light Station is a historic lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
Construction began in 1787 at the directive of George Washington, and was completed on January 10, 1791. Whale oil lamps were originally used for illumination. In 1855 a fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed; that was replaced by a second-order Fresnel lens in which was replaced by an aero beacon in 1958 . That lens was replaced with an DCB-224 aero beacon in 1991. In 1787, while Maine was still part of the state of Massachusetts, George Washington engaged two masons from the town of Portland, Jonathan Bryant and John Nichols, and instructed them to take charge of the construction of a lighthouse on Portland Head. Washington reminded them that the colonial government was poor and that the materials used to build the lighthouse should be taken from the fields and shores. They could be handled nicely when hauled by oxen on a drag, he said. The original plans called for the tower to be 58 feet tall. When the mason completed this task they climbed to the top of the tower and realized that it would not be visible beyond the headlands to the south, so it was raised approximately 20 feet. The old tower, built of rubblestone, . Washington gave the masons four years to build the tower. While it was under construction, the federal government was formed (in 1789) and it looked for a while as though the lighthouse would not be finished. The first congress made an appropriation and authorized Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury, to inform the mechanics that they could go on with the completion of the tower. The tower was completed during 1790 and first lit January 10, 1791. When Halfway Rock Light was built, Portland Head Light was considered less important and in 1883 the tower was shortened 20 feet and a weaker fourth-order Fresnel lens was added. The former height and second-order Fresnel lens was restored in 1885 following mariners' complaints. During the American Civil War, raids on shipping in and out of Portland Harbor became commonplace, and because of the necessity for ships at sea to sight Portland Head Light as soon as possible, the tower was raised twenty feet. The current keepers' house was built in 1891. The station has changed little except for the rebuilding of the whistle house in 1975 due to it being badly damaged in a storm. Today, Portland Head Light stands 80 feet above ground and 101 feet above water, its white conical tower being connected with a dwelling. The 200,000 candlepower, DCB 224 airport style aerobeacon is visible from 24 miles away. The grounds, and keeper's house are owned by the town of Cape Elizabeth, while the beacon, and fog signal are owned and maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard as a current aid to navigation. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Portland Head light (sic) on April 24, 1973, reference number 73000121.
Joseph K. Greenleaf (1791”“1795) David Duncan (1796) Barzillai Delano (1796”“1820) Joshua Freeman (1820”“1840) Richard Lee (1840”“1849) John F. Watts (1849”“1853) John W. Coolidge (1853”“1854) James S. Williams (1854) James Delano (1854”“1861) Elder M. Jordan (1861”“1869) Joshua F. Strout (1869”“1904) Joseph W. Strout (1904”“1928) John W. Cameron (assistant 1904-1928, principal keeper 1928-1929) Frank O. Hilt (1929”“1944) Robert Thayer Sterling (assistant 1928-1944, principal keeper 1944-1946) Archie McLaughlin (Coast Guard, c. 1946) William L. Lockhart (Coast Guard 1946-1950) William T. Burns (Coast Guard, 1950-1956?) Earle E. Benson (Coast Guard, 1952-?) Edward Frank (Coast Guard 1956-?) Weston B. Gamage Jr. (Coast Guard, c. early 1960s) Armand Hood (Coast Guard officer in charge, c. 1963) Walter Dodge (Coast Guard, 1963) Thomas Reed (Coast Guard, 1966”“1967) Robert Allen (Coast Guard, c. 1972) Kenneth A. Perry (Coast Guard, ?) Roy Cavanaugh (Coast Guard, c. 1971-1977) Jerry Poliskey (Coast Guard, c. 1977) Ray Barbar (Coast Guard Officer-in-Charge 1978-1982) Marion Danna (Coast Guard Assist.Light keeper 1980-1983) Michael Cook (Coast Guard Officer-in-Charge 1982-1986) Davis Simpson (Coast Guard, ?-1989) Nathan Wasserstrom (Coast Guard, ?-1989) Cameron Ayres