Pons Aemilius

The Pons Aemilius (Italian: Ponte Emilio), today called Ponte Rotto, is the oldest Roman stone bridge in Rome, Italy. Preceded by a wooden version, it was rebuilt in stone in the 2nd century BC. It once spanned the Tiber, connecting the Forum Boarium with Trastevere; a single arch in mid-river is all that remains today, lending the bridge its name Ponte rotto ("Broken bridge").

The oldest piers of the bridge were probably laid when the Via Aurelia was constructed in the mid-3rd century BC. Initially constructed in 179 BC with stone piers and a wooden superstructure, the bridge was fitted in 142 BC with six wholly stone arches. In 12 BC, Augustus completely restored the bridge with a tuff and concrete core.

Damaged and repaired on several occasions, the bridge was defunct by 1598, when its eastern half was carried away in a flood. The remaining half was demolished in the 1880s, leaving behind only one arch.


  • O’Connor, Colin (1993), Roman Bridges, Cambridge University Press, pp. 67f., ISBN 0-521-39326-4 


2 photos

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com