Polytechnical MuseumEdit profile
Polytechnical Museum (Russian: Политехнический музей) is a science museum in Moscow that emphasizes the progress of Russian and Soviet technology and science, as well as modern inventions and developments. It was founded in 1872 after the first All-Russian Technical Exhibition on the bicentennial anniversary of the birth of Peter the Great. The first stage of the museum was designed by Ippolit Monighetti and completed in 1877. Almost from the beginning the collection was too big for the space. The north wing was added in 1896 and the south wing in 1907.
It is the largest technical museum in Russia, offering a wide array of historical inventions and technological achievements, including humanoid automata of the 18th century and the first Soviet computers. Its collection contains more than 160,000 items in 65 halls including, Chemistry, Mining, Metallurgy, Transport, Energy, Optics, Automation, Computer Engineering, Radio electronics, Communications, and Space exploration.
Highlights include the first Achromatic telescope; an early solar microscope, created by German anatomists Johann Nathanael Lieberkühn; an early seismograph created by Boris Borisovich Galitzine; galvanoplastics by Moritz von Jacobi; and early electric lights by Pavel Yablochkov. The automobile exhibit includes a Russo-Balt K12/20 and a GAZ-M20 Pobeda.