Polish Army StadiumEdit profile
Marshal Józef Piłsudski Polish Army Stadium (Polish: Stadion Wojska Polskiego imienia Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego) is a football stadium in Warsaw, Poland. It has been owned by the Capital City of Warsaw since August 1, 2002, and leased - and used every day - for Legia Warszawa.
The stadium is located in Warsaw Powisle between the square of the streets: Łazienkowska, Czerniakowska, Kussocińskiego and Myśliwiecka.
In 1917 the club after moving to Warsaw, was played team matches and training sessions on Agrykola. It was at that time the only playground in Warsaw, which gave up to play public performances. The first meeting of the Legion played in the stadium was against Agrykola and Polonia (1-1), which took place on 29 April 1917. Use of pitches in Agrykola was too expensive to the club could play its regular matches and training sessions. For this reason it was decided to build a new stadium. At the end of 1921, signed an agreement under which the club leased the land between the street Łazienkowska and Myśliwiecka.
At the turn of 1921 and 1922 work began on the construction of a new stadium, which at the beginning of 40 people participated. According to plan. which was built by Captain investment created. Wanicki. It stipulated, inter alia, stadium for matches, speedway race, two training pitches, tennis courts and track fencing. This plan has been extended by the engineer John Nagorski. Increased investment (including the pool), but had to be completed 2 years later. Increased number of projects required increased resources. Therefore, the club asked for help to the army. Shortly been cooperation, under which the army had to help in construction of buildings, and in return would be the owner. Following the execution of investments, began to organize their military events. The first of these were games in which the battle was a screening of air and land, brought together about 15 thousand audience.
In subsequent years, while land use appeared numerous problems. The first of these concerned over who will manage the fund reserved for the expansion of sports facilities. There were also complications relating to ownership of the land caused by improper a care of the implementation of the investment in the appropriate pace. At the end of 1925, was issued that strongly divided the area into the sports fields and athletics track and the area hippic (designed for equestrian).
Legion of further problems stemming from the emergence of a new football club in Warsaw - Lechia, which was to unite all the military teams in the region. WKS Lechia was officially founded November 26, 1925 year, and soon entered the area of Legia, in the meantime, as some sources reported, had been lost by the Legion. In the spring of 1926, the issue is resolved through the creation of a special committee in the Field which would share all of Warsaw's military clubs. Stood at the head of the Colonel Zygmunt Wasserab. With this decision, the Legion once again entered into the management of sites on which he was to be built in the Military Stadium representative. A further construction of training fields and tennis courts has been continued.
At the beginning of 1928, the Polish Association of swimming and decided to create a cell at the Stadium Construction Swimming Legion. Its task was to organize resources for this purpose, and its implementation. The first pool, called the North, was opened on November 14, 1928 year. The biggest attractions of the building designed by an engineer Waclaw Paszkowski were 10-meter springboard and the platform that could accommodate 2,500 people.
Binding Match the 'Żyleta'. Warsaw derby 2005 In 1929 the Legion received a grant which enabled the implementation plan for the construction of a representative of the Military Stadium. The stadium was designed by Maximilian Dudryk-Darlewski, who designed the roofing of the main stand so that the pillars supporting them as little as possible interfere with the admiration of the spectators the spectacle. Under the main grandstand, where volume reached 5,000 people, were the club rooms, including changing rooms, gyms, sports magazines, a lounge and cafeteria. Around the pitch was Tread and cycling track. Tread 400m in length and consisted of 7.5 m in width. Cycling track was constructed in the middle of the shaft with natural gas and half of reinforced concrete elements. Its length was 500m.
The end of construction occurred in 1930. First, the inaugural football match at the stadium was a meeting between the team and the team Legia Warsaw CF Barcelona Europe Held on 9 August 1930. Warsaw team drew 1-1 this meeting. Goals scored premier player Legion—Henry Martyn the penalty in the 22nd minute duel. The official opening of the track cycling and athletics track was August 30, 1930 at the occasion of the international tournament in which teams participated from England, Germany, Austria, France, Egypt and Poland.
August 24, 1930 played at the stadium, the first two matches league. First, ran onto the pitch: Warszawianka Warsaw and ŁKS Łódź (first league goal scored here Eugene Tadeusiewicz with ŁKS), and after a moment: Legia Warsaw and Czarni Lviv (the first league goal for the Legion on the object captured by the Jozef Nawrot). October 26, 1930 this year on the world stage debut Polish national team, Winning 6-0 Latvia (the first goal of Jozef Nawrot).
However, the stadium had opened many errors. As reported in some newspapers that time, the track cycling after years of use had a lot of chip and furrows. In addition, the slowness in the appropriate track maintenance and repair of faults caused the track closed shortly. Games on it ceased to play in the spring of 1935 years.
In 1933, the stadium officially gained a reputation as the Polish Army Stadium. In the summer of that year, the object passed in the administration of the State Office of Physical Education (then Ministry of Sports). As a result, charge Legion used the training pitches, and paid for the use of the stadium during the league matches.
In January 1933 one of the fields organized tennis ice skating rink on which to play the matches Hockey. Children's games and was surrounded by grandstands that could hold 4000 spectators. Fields were invited to the inauguration of the German team Wiener Verein Eislauf. Legionaries lost this encounter 0-1.
In the early 30 developed plans to build a sports hall, but their implementation has not been. Also intended to make the repair cycle track and give it to use only riders. Motorcyclists and had to get a new track outside the city. In fact, the track never repaired. Also formed the idea of building the track to land of Legia driving fast on ice. However, plans are not in its execution.
Fall of the Legion of I football league and the lack of sporting success, prevented in subsequent years raising funds for expansion of sports facilities in these areas. Despite this, the stadium took place in interstate matches, including a meeting between the Polish representation and representation of the German Third Reich. The match fell 1-1 draw.
Eruption World War II in 1939 resulted in a solution of sports section. During the war, the stadium was held by the Germans. Cared for the building occupants, because during the occupation took place in the competition for soldiers Wehrmacht. The stadium was destroyed during the offensive Red Army. Ruined building required renovation. Facilities were largely devastated the grandstand as well as its audience, tennis courts, swimming pool and training pitches, which bore traces of guns used during the hostilities. After the war the patronage of the stadium took military command of the city.
On the 'Żyleta' during the match, Derby Warsaw 2005.1 May 1945 in Labor Day Legion played the first match at the Stadium of postwar Polish Army. Mermaid opponent was local, and the meeting ended in 3-3 draw.
After the war, tennis courts located near the stadium - as well as to inform the local media - were in a deplorable state. " The only suitable facility was to use a small building at the club tennis courts. After the war, dealt with the reconstruction of damaged areas in 1946 years been made available Legia tennis center and two side. Also carried out renovation on an object, which before the war Legia trained athletes. Renovated the pool.
On 22–27 September 1946 the first championship played Polish People's Army on the restored objects. In competitions took part in 2800 soldiers - the athletes. As part of the struggle of sports played in the championship boxing. Ring was placed on the turf at the stadium, the indoor grandstand and watched the struggle spectators sitting in the audience and lined up around the arena.
December 22, 1946 annually its first post-war match also played hockey section of the Legion. Legionnaires met with Żyrardowianka.
At 12 December 1953 in the vicinity of the land was opened second artificial ice rink in the country—Torwar. However, then the object does not have a roof. Celebrated the inauguration of the match between the Legion and Guard Bydgoszcz. The meeting ended with victory for the hosts 12-3.
In 1956, the Legion has acquired another sports facility. It was a long-awaited sports hall. Derived object that is Street. November 29 require repair. In the inaugural season of the new hall, basketball Legia won the Polish Championship.
A bunch of sports facilities of the Legion in 1956, also expanded with a new, 25-meter pool. The difference to previously established swimming pool, it was completely covered. This made it possible staging profession even in unfavorable weather conditions. The new facility had economic support, and stands where spectators could sit 1200.
At the end of the fifties were set attendance records at the Stadium of the Polish Army. They coincided with a period of splendor of the Warsaw club. In those days, she gained mastery Polish Legion and qualify for Europe again. The first record fell September 19, 1956 during a match European Cup Legia Warsaw from Slovan Bratislava. Watch this show came to 40 000 spectators. Two years later, on 8 June 1958 in the stands was an equal number of supporters at the league match of the Legion of ŁKS Łódź .
Doping on the 'Żyleta' during the match, Derby Warsaw 2005.At the end of the fifties, the club began to seek for funds to repair facilities are located at Łazienkowska. The main object of which depended on the restoration of the authorities most was Legia Polish Army Stadium. After the Thirty Years' service was in bad condition. During the repair of listed plants and made alterations to the auditorium. Moreover, in the end of the fifties, renovated Legia pool.
In the sixties, the stadium has undergone one of the most significant upgrade in its history. Flags of Our Youth of 3 August 1960 indicated that the stadium after the reconstruction will be able to accommodate 25 thousand audience. Praised that as one of the few stadiums in the country with the capacity of all the places it will be seats. Therefore, at the current standing places on the east grandstand, installed benches. Also touted that the Polish Army Stadium as one of the few in Poland, will have artificial lighting.
Inauguration of illumination occurred October 5, 1960 during a match with revenge AGF Aarhus in 1 / 16 final of European Cup. The meeting ended with Legionnaires' 1-0 victory. Lighting power had 800 lux.
View of the grandstand 'Swimming', Derby Warsaw 2005.The last twenty years of existence of the stadium is mostly waiting for the construction of a new facility. True, the stadium underwent renovations and touch-up damage, but its outdated structure exert on the owners of the Legion building and owners idea of building a new stadium (for a detailed description of this process in section Construction of new stadium). Implementation of the designs of complicated problems associated with ownership of the land on which formerly stood an object.
One of the recent renovation of the stadium went up in 1999. Then underwent a complete reconstruction of the curves stands, behind the goals. They have been specially renovated for the adoption of fans visiting the match with the Polish National Team England the elimination 2000 European Championships. That meeting ended in goalless draw.
September 27, 2001 year, the stadium took place match UEFA Cup qualifying between Anży Makhachkala and Rangers. The meeting took place at a neutral venue because the Scottish club has refused to come to Machachkala The Scots won the match 1-0 and they were promoted to the next phase of qualifying.
At the end of the first decade of the twentieth century to cope with the problems of building a new facility. 17 November 2008 began demolition of the old stadium and the club of old buildings located on the Legia pool.
CD pitches - of 105 m long and 68 meters wide - from September 2004 on (a third in Poland) is a system heater (the first game has been played on it September 30, 2004 on, and Legia Warsaw was in it Austria Vienna 1:3 in 1 / 64 finals UEFA Cup) And is illuminated with light of intensity 1400 lux (jupiters on 4 masts). The stands are 13 628 seats (plastic seats in the colors of the club, green, red, black and white), Including 5976 places in the main grandstand, seats in the 4724 exposed, 1550 seats in the "arc Łazienkowska and 1378 seats on the grandstand guests.
The New Stadium
Construction of the new stadium
The idea to build a new stadium for Legia Warszawa players appeared in the mid- 90s Twentieth century, When referring to some of the biggest successes in the history of the club. Another Polish Champion, triumphed in the National Cup and UEFA SuperAnd, above all promoted to Champions League implied the need to take action to, or alteration then operated the facility, or building a completely new stadium . Ultimately, however, until 1997 virtually nothing on this subject have failed to do so. In fact, the construction will not expressed neither city nor the private entities involved in the club, or military. It was not until the emergence of a new investor - the company Daewoo and the appointment of a joint stock company gave the sport a real chance of successful completion of the case. Korean club owners were eager to establish strong lobby in the construction of the stadium, the basic problem, however, proved ownership of land on the street Łazienkowska - Military Property Agency she was not willing to waive city property .
Therefore, the question of creating a new object "to the Legion "has been deferred for five years . Everything changed in 2002 when the Military Property Agency has decided to sell the Capital City of Warsaw square of land between the streets: Łazienkowska, Czerniakowska, Kusocinski and Mysliwiecka . Although their total value was estimated at 60 million zlotys, the purchase price was agreed at 16 million. 29 July 2002 at the Warsaw session, the Council passed a resolution to allocate for the purchase of land and the amount required from 1 August 2002, the property had formally become municipal property. From this point you can begin work on the planned investment .
In October 2004, Warsaw's chief architect Michael Borowski gave permission to build a new stadium on the grounds of the Legion and the adjacent land parcels . According to the initial concept of the new stadium was to be built on a plot between ul. Czerniakowska and Open Court (known as Body.) According to these plans had a Body western grandstand of the new stadium. The decision on the permit for the redevelopment of sites Legion opened the way for a tender for a new stadium. Participants in the tender process had to design a building that could stand in these areas and build it.
25 September 2006, the jury for the construction of a new stadium (which was built alongside the existing facility, in a place devastated pools Legion) rescinded the offer consortium German companies : HMB Stadien GmbH und Sportstattenbau with Wayss Schlusselfertingbau und Freytag AG and Krupp Stahlbau Hannover GmbH, which won the contract to build a new stadium. The project involved the construction of the building with the audience capacity from 30.5 to 35 thousand spectators, who had underground parking, and - as the first stadium in Poland - was supposed to be covered zasuwanym glass roof . Offer German companies, however, was hedged investment restrictions that the operation will depend on the time of collecting funds for the building . This proved unacceptable to the Polish side and canceled deals.
The situation is also complicated the issue of unexplained National Stadium, which would become one of the arenas Euro 2012 If the organization of this tournament was awarded to Poland and Ukraine. National Stadium (with a capacity of about 50,000 spectators) would be built on site Stadium of the Decade. Conception to construction of stadiums in the capital there was a few. There has been concerns of politicians, it is not worthwhile to build two stadiums in the Stoics and the audience for thousands of spectators. Therefore, the stadium would only be Łazienkowska rebuilt so that its capacity was about 20 thousand seats. However, the matches that would be more interest, would be played on National Stadium.
27 September 2006 the authorities Legia Warszawa and ITI Group during a meeting with the Commissioner of the capital city of Warsaw Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz in the club house on the street Łazienkowska - presented their own idea of rebuilding the stadium. The proposed project foresaw the construction of the stadium in stages. Capacity building would be 31,800 to 34 thousand seats, depending on whether you have applied for a grandstand standing room. In November of that year, the club Legia Warsaw signed a long-term contract with the city to lease the stadium. The length of the document will be 23 years.
In June 2007, the Warsaw city council admitted zł 360 million to build a new stadium by. approved the project submitted by Legia Warsaw and ITI. In April 2008 the then Mayor of Warsaw Hanna Gronkiewicz -Waltz issued a permit for the construction of the stadium. The bidding process had been identified in the consortium that built the stadium, however, assumed a higher offer submitted by nearly 100 million construction cost from appropriations by the City. In September 2008, Warsaw councilors approved the amendment in the budget and awarded an additional 100 million needed to build stadium. 12 November 2008 signed an agreement with a consortium Polimex -Mostostal to construct the facility.
17 November 2008 began the first stage of building a new stadium, Which provided for the construction of three stands: the southern, eastern, and northern . Work began on the demolition of old buildings and grandstands club. In the first year of construction, built 95 percent of reinforced concrete and fitted with installed 19 of the 23 girders that are to be support to the roof. It is expected that by May 2010 has been completed three new grandstands, which have a combined capacity of 27,000 spectators. When it launched the second phase will build a new stadium, which provides for construction of a new western grandstand and mapping of historic facades. The whole stadium will be ready in autumn 2011. Throughout the period of construction of the stadium is used., and in the 2009/2010 season of its capacity is not the whole six thousand. places.
The new stadium is created in place of the old . The facility will meet the criteria for the highest category by Elite . UEFA, which means that it may be in the semi-finals game Champions League. The stadium will consist of five floors and will be fully covered . Inside the grandstand will be technical base for journalists, the public 's business and wellness center available to the players and coaches. Furthermore, inside the stadium will be 12 kiosks for catering.
The historic facade of the main grandstand will be demolished and then reconstructed and incorporated into the new stadium.
The designer is the German firm JSK Architects.