Point Robinson LighthouseEdit profile
Point Robinson Lighthouse is a lighthouse at Point Robinson on the coast of Puget Sound in the U.S. state of Washington. Point Robinson is the easternmost point of Maury Island.History
Point Robinson began as a fog signal station on July 1, 1885. The original boiler and 12-inch steam whistle came from Oregon's Point Adams Light. The lens lantern, shining persistent red, was attached to a 25-foot (7.6 m) post in 1887. In 1894, the post was replaced by a wooden tower which held the light at 31 feet (9.4 m). The current lighthouse was built in 1915, with a 38-foot (12 m) tower and fifth-order Fresnel lens. With these specifications, the light could be seen 12 miles (19 km). The tower is a twin of Alki Point Lighthouse. The light was automated in 1978, using the original fifth-order Fresnel lens. The flashing pattern is on for three seconds, off for one second, on for another three seconds, and off for five seconds. In 2008, the Coast Guard replaced the original Fresnel light with a replaceable plastic beacon mounted outside the lantern room, but the original Fresnel lens remains in the lantern room where it can be viewed by visitors. In the early 1990s, local residents caught wind of a plan to lease land on Point Robinson. The citizens joined together to form the Keepers of Point Robinson and, coupled with the Vashon-Maury Island Park and Recreation District, they negotiated a fifteen-year lease on the property with the Coast Guard. The site is now part of the Vashon-Maury Island Park and Recreation District, and the Keepers of Point Robinson work closely with the Park District to maintain the site and to offer the two keepers' dwellings as weekly rentals.