Pluscarden AbbeyEdit profile
Pluscarden Abbey was originally built in 1230 at the behest of King Alexander II, for a community of Valliscaulian monks. The order, which exists no longer, came from Val des Choux in Burgundy. Two other Valliscaulian priories existed in Scotland: Beauly, in the town of the same name near Inverness, and Ardchattan, on Loch Etive near Oban.
Pluscarden eventually became a Benedictine Priory at the end of the 15th century. At the time of the Reformation in Scotland, monastic life was proscribed and the monastery passed into secular ownership and use. The church buildings fell into disrepair until the property was bought by the Marquess of Bute in 1897. His third son, Lord Colum Crichton-Stuart, donated the property to the Benedictines of Prinknash Abbey, near Gloucester, who sent five monks to recommence monastic life in 1948.
Since then, the monastery has been progressively restored; first under the direction of Ian Gordon Lindsay and then, after his death, William Murray Jack. Recent work has continued under the Jack Fisher Partnership. The monastery is unusual in actually being an original medieval monastery which is still the home of a working Benedictine community, which now numbers over 20 monks.