Plaistow tube stationEdit profile
Plaistow station is a London Underground station on the District and Hammersmith and City lines, located in Plaistow and West Ham, east London. It is in Zone 3. The station was opened by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway in 1858, and District Line service began in 1902; the Hammersmith & City Line (then the Metropolitan Line) service followed in 1936, when it was extended from Whitechapel to Barking. LTSR services were withdrawn in 1962, although the LTSR motif can still be seen within aspects of the station's architecture. The station has three platforms in use, two through platforms and a third bay platform enabling eastbound trains to terminate and reverse back to central London. Two other platforms used to serve the LTSR line but are now closed and derelict; c2c trains pass straight through these platforms. Plaistow used to have a set of sidings on the north side of the tracks, but the site is now occupied by a Dagenham Motors car showroom. The station booking hall, built in 1905, is a listed building and currently undergoing restoration work. Although there is no official station car park, there is a Newham London Borough Council-run pay and display car park to the immediate south of the station, connected by a set of steps.