Pine Grove Covered BridgeEdit profile
Pine Grove Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the East branch of the Octoraro Creek on the border between Lancaster County and Chester County in Pennsylvania, United States. It is the longest covered bridge in Lancaster County.
The bridge has a double span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. It is the only double-span covered bridge still in use. The other double-span bridge, Herr's Mill Covered Bridge, is located on private property. The bridge's deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges on the outside, but is not painted on the inside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-15-22/38-36-41. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003521. It is located at 39°47′36.6″N 76°2′39.6″W / 39.7935°N 76.044333°W / 39.7935; -76.044333 (39.7935, -76.04433).History
The bridge was built in 1884 by Elias McMellen.Dimensions
- Length: 198 feet (60.4 m) or 204 feet (62.2 m) total length. Note:
- Width: 15 feet (4.6 m) total width