Pieterskerk, UtrechtEdit profile
The Pieterskerk is one of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in the Dutch city of Utrecht, dedicated to Peter the Apostle. Its construction began in 1039 and it was inaugurated on 1 May 1048 by Bernold, Bishop of Utrecht (although the lost west towers were probably only finished about a century after the inauguration). The church was the eastern end of Utrecht's "Kerkenkruis", of which the Domkerk was the centre. Characteristic of the Romanesque style in which it is built are the church's large nave pillars, each hewn from one piece of red sandstone, and the crypt under the choir. The building is now used by the Walloon Church.Source
- This page is a translation of its Dutch equivalent.
Coordinates: 52°5′29″N 5°7′28″E / 52.09139°N 5.12444°E / 52.09139; 5.12444