Pickett HouseEdit profile
The Pickett House is the oldest house in the city of Bellingham, Washington, located on 910 Bancroft Street. Built in 1856 by United States Army Captain George Pickett, who would later become a prominent general in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
After Captain Pickett arrived in Bellingham on the pretense of overseeing the construction Fort Bellingham, he chose a spot on what was then referred to as Peabody Hill in the town of Whatcom to be cleared for his home. The house was built with two stories of lumber provided by the nearby Roeder-Peabody lumber mill on Whatcom Creek. About a year later, the Captain's son, James Tilton Pickett, was born in the house. After Pickett left Bellingham in 1861 to serve in the Civil War, the house traded hands several times, before Hattie Strothers left the house to the Washington State Historical Society in 1936 upon her death. In 1941, the home became a museum, and later home to the Daughters of Pioneers, both of which still occupy the site.
Very few changes have been made to the original structure. A narrow staircase was added to replace the ladder leading to the upstairs sleeping quarters, and a kitchen has been added to the lean-to section of the house.
Facade of the Pickett House with sign on 910 Bancroft Street, Bellingham, WA.
Plaque at the front of the Pickett House
Photo of the Pickett House showing the lean-to section
Chair and rug detail from inside the Pickett House
Interior of the Pickett House showing a sofa chair and windows looking out to the front
Interior of the Pickett House showing the organ and a rocking chair