Phoenixville TunnelEdit profile
The Phoenixville Tunnel, originally called the Fairview Tunnel, was part of the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania.
The tunnel was built in 1884. It is approximately 811 feet long and 24 feet 8 inches wide. The tunnel, which was later acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad, runs parallel to the west of Fairview Street, underneath Fillmore Street.
After the First World War increasing competition from automobiles and trucks led to passenger train services being discontinued in 1928. However, freight services continued to use the line. The line, which was used by Conrail from Kimberton to Phoenixville, was abandoned in the 1980s.
It is near the 1835 Phoenixville Black Rock Tunnel, the second railroad tunnel to be built in the United States.40°08′52″N 75°31′07″W / 40.147833°N 75.5184967°W / 40.147833; -75.5184967
The tunnel is now abandoned. The original brick construction is in poor repair. A large part of the ceiling has collapsed directly under Fillmore Street prompting a three-ton gross vehicle weight limit on the road above.
The Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad rail right of way is being developed into the Schuylkill River Trail, a multi-use recreational / bicycle trail. However, it is not clear if the tunnel will be included.
- Benjamin L Bernhart, Pennsylvania Railroad in the Schuylkill River Valley: the Story of the PRR's Schuylkill Division, ASIN: B000KSZCNC, 2006.
Radil Radenkov updated 3 digital references and updatedabout 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
canice updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Georgi Sokolov updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
firstname.lastname@example.org updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com