Phoebe Putney Memorial HospitalEdit profile
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital is located at 417 Third Ave. in Albany, Georgia.
The health system is a network of hospitals, family medicine clinics, rehab facilities, auxiliary services, and medical education training facilities. The flagship hospital Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital is a 443-bed teaching hospital and a regional center for cancer and cardiac medicine. The Phoebe Cancer Center is one of the busiest and most advanced in the Southeast. The Phoebe Heart Center performs open-heart and cardiac catheterization procedures. Phoebe is one of six designated perinatal centers in the state of Georgia and is the regions provider of neonatal intensive care, cardiovascular surgery and radiation oncology services. The hospital also offers medical-surgical care, emergency treatment, obstetrics, pediatrics, wound care, a women's health center and more.
In 1910, Judge Francis Flagg Putney donated $25,000 to the Ladies Hospital Aid Society of Albany to establish a hospital to serve the citizens of Southwest Georgia. Judge Putney’s endowment came with three provisions:
- That the hospital be named after his mother "Phoebe" Putney.
- That the hospital serve all citizens of the community, regardless of race or ability to pay.
- That the hospital be a brick building in order to withstand the greatest threat to structures at the time - fire.
The hospital officially opened its doors to patients on August 1, 1911.