Philipps HouseEdit profile
Philipps House is an early nineteenth-century Neo-Grecian country house at Dinton, near Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. The house was designed by Jeffry Wyatt, later Sir Jeffry Wyatville for William Wyndham, and was built between 1813-16 on the site of an earlier, demolished seventeenth-century house, Dinton House, which had been the Wyndham family home. The new house was also called Dinton House, and was known as this until 1916 when it was bought by Bertram Philipps, and was renamed after him. In 1943 Philipps gave the house and 250 acres (1.0 km 2) of parkland to the National Trust. The house is built of Chilmark stone, a local building stone also used for Salisbury Cathedral, and Wyatt was believed to have based his design on Pythouse, some seven miles (11 km) away at Newtown, near Tisbury. The house is two-storied with symmetrically set chimney stacks and a central lantern. The main (south) front has nine bays with an Ionic portico. The rooms are planned around a spacious square hall. The house is one of the first in England to have a central heating system installed. This was achieved by pumping hot air from a boiler in the basement into the stair well. Now open to the public, the house contains an impressive collection of Regency furniture and furnishings. The house is Grade II* listed. The parkland that surrounds the house is still known as Dinton Park, and has recently been restored.
- Anon, 1954, Philipps House, Dinton, Wiltshire: A Property of the National Trust Published by Curwen Press for the National Trust, 6 pages
- James Lees-Milne, 1943, "Dinton House" Country Life 17 December, 1943
- Nikolaus Pevsner, 1975, Wiltshire in The Buildings of England series. Penguin