Phelps County JailEdit profile
Phelps County Jail, located on Park Street between Second and Third Streets, Rolla, Missouri, was built in 1860 for USD 3,000. The jail was operated by Phelps County from 1860 to 1912. Union forces, which took over the town in 1861, used the jail for both military and civilian prisoners during the American Civil War.
Dr. E.A. Stricker presented the jail to the Phelps County Historical Society in 1943. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
The building's contractor, John A. Schnable, built the structure from solid dolomite blocks, measuring 22 inches by 22 inches, which were quarried nearby. The lower floor contains two windowless 6 foot by 13 foot stone cells for solitary confinement. The upper floor contains a single room with cages made from iron bars to hold multiple prisoners. The upper floor also includes a wood-burning stove used for heating.