Perth Trades HallEdit profile
Design and construction of the original trades hall building was largely due to the efforts of Ernest Henshaw. The foundation stone was laid by Prime Minister of Australia Andrew Fisher on 8 August 1911. The Hall was officially opened on 20 April 1912 by Premier of Western Australia, and former Trades Hall secretary John Scaddan. The three storey building stands at 74 Beaufort Street, the site of Perth’s original Scotch College, and is of neo-Georgian design. In 1985 the building was purchased by the Delaney family to house the Claremont contemporary art gallery. A new Perth Trades Hall was dedicated on May Day, 2000, known as Unity House located at 77-79 Stirling Street, and provides offices and meeting rooms for UnionsWA, trade unions, the Australian Labor Party and other community and political groups. In 2007, due to financial mismanagement, UnionsWA had to relocate to the CSA/CPSU Building located at 445 Hay Street, Perth.