Perth Bridge (also known as Smeaton's Bridge and, locally, the Old Bridge) is a toll-free bridge in the town of Perth, Scotland. It spans the River Tay, connecting Perth, on the eastern side of the river, to Bridgend, on its western side, carrying both automotive and pedestrian traffic of West Bridge Street (the A85).
The bridge was completed in October 1771, which places it in the Georgian era; however, its plaque states the year in which construction began, 1766, as its "built" date. The engineer of its construction was John Smeaton, for whom the bridge is named.
Funded by the Earl of Kinnoull, the government, and public subscription, the bridge was put to the test three years after its completion. In February 1774, during a quick thaw, broken ice became wedged under the arches and created a natural dam. Large sections of Perth, including both of its Inches, were flooded. The bridge, however, stood firm. It has survived many subsequent floods, and marks documenting these levels are visible on one of its piers.
An increase in traffic resulted in the bridge being widened in 1869 by A.D. Stewart. Its stone parapets were removed, and footpaths projected over iron brackets.