Perry McAdow HouseEdit profile
The Perry McAdow House is a Renaissance Revival house, built in 1891 and located at 4605 Cass Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1976 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.History
Perry W. McAdow earned his fortune gold mining in Montana. In 1891, he and his wife Clara built an elaborate mansion on Cass for a cost of $65,000 as an entrance into Detroit society. The couple lived there until 1897. The house was used as a private residence until 1913, when it was sold to the First Universalist congregation. The church used it as a place of worship for three years until a new church immediately to the north was completed, after which the house was used as a parish house.Architecture
The house has two and a half stories with a hipped roof, and is constructed of red brick and brownstone. The exterior has bay windows, Corinthian columned porches, parapet ballustrades, and a modillion cornice. Behind the original house is a two-story, red brick church hall, built in 1917. On the interior, there are notable frescos, paneling, plasterwork and stained glass.