Pero's BridgeEdit profile
Pero's Bridge (grid reference ST585726) is a pedestrian, bascule bridge at St Augustine's Reach in Bristol Harbour. It links Queen Square and Millennium Square.Structure
The bridge is composed of three spans; the two outer ones are fixed and the central section can be raised to provide a navigation channel in the harbour. The most distinctive features of the bridge are the pair of horn-shaped sculptures which act as counterweights for the lifting section, leading it to be commonly known as the Horned Bridge.Pero
The bridge is named after "Pero" who lived from around 1753 to 1798, arriving in Bristol probably from the Caribbean Island of Nevis in 1783, as the slave of the merchant John Pinney (1740–1818) at 5 Great George Street.History
The bridge was designed by the Irish artist Eilis O'Connell, in conjunction with Ove Arup & Partners engineers and opened in 1999.Dimensions
Length of lifting span (11m)Bibliography
Eickelmann, Christine; David Small (2004). PERO: The Life of a Slave in Eighteenth-Century Bristol. Redcliffe Press Ltd. ISBN 1-904537-03-0.