Penydarren ParkEdit profile
Penydarren Park is the former stadium for Merthyr Tydfil F.C. in Merthyr Tydfil. It has a capacity of 10,000. A housing estate next to it also carries the name of the stadium. It was also the home of the town's former club, Merthyr Town F.C., members of the Football League between 1920 and 1930, and it was also the home of Merthyr Tydfil RLFC between 1907 and 1910. There are plans for Merthyr to move to a new stadium on the edge of the town. The stadium would be part of the new 'Merthyr Village' development and have a capacity of around 12,000. These plans were thrown into doubt by the Welsh Assembly's rejection of the project in 2007.. Former chairman Wyn Holloway left the club in 2009, and in 2010 Merthyr Tydfil FC was reformed as Merthyr Town FC. Upon liquidation, the lease of Penydarren Park was returned to Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council, who are yet to decide whether the reformed club can have it back, and under what terms.
In July 2011, the newly promoted Merthyr Town FC hosted Welsh Premier League side Llanelli in a pre-season friendly at Penydarren Park, and look set to once again take up full-time residency.