Pendennis Castle
Pendennis Castle is a Henrician castle, also known as one of Henry VIII's Device Forts, in Cornwall, England, UK. It was built between 1540 and 1545 for King Henry VIII to guard the entrance to the River Fal on its west bank, near Falmouth. St Mawes Castle is its opposite number on the east bank and they were built to defend Carrick Roads from Spanish attack. The castle comprises a simple round tower and gate enclosed by a lower curtain wall. It is now in the care of English Heritage.

The siege of Pendennis Castle
Pendennis Castle had a role in the English Civil War. It was the last Royalist position in the West of England and a Royalist garrison withstood a 5 month siege (March 1646 to 17 August 1646) from Parliamentarian forces before surrendering. The English Parliamentary forces attacked the castle from both land and sea and the Cornish Royalist garrison at Pendennis was under the command of the 80-year old Sir John Arundel, aided by Sir Henry Killigrew. Pendennis was the antepenultimate stronghold--before Raglan Castle and Harlech Castle--to hold out for the Royalists. About 1,500 men, women and children survived the 155-day siege at the castle before being forced to surrender because of starvation. Previously it had given sanctuary to Queen Henrietta Maria, and the Prince of Wales ( Charles II), before their escape to France.

Recent controversy
In 1999 there was some controversy regarding this site and others under the care of the English Heritage organisation. Members of a pressure group, the Revived Cornish Stannary Parliament, removed several signs bearing the English Heritage name. Three men later paid criminal fines in connection with these actions.