Peggy Stewart House
The Peggy Stewart House, also known as the Rutland-Jenifer-Stone House, is a Georgian style house in Annapolis, Maryland. Built between 1761 and 1764 for Thomas Rutland, it was owned at various times by Thomas Stone and Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer. In 1777 it was owned by Anthony Stewart, owner of the ship Peggy Stewart .

The Peggy Stewart House is a 2-1/2 story Georgian style brick house on an elevated basement. The rectangular house is about 50 feet (15 m) wide and 30 feet (9.1 m) deep, or five bays by three. The side elevations feature single-bay projecting pavilions, crowned with pediments projecting from the hipped main roof. The basement and first floor windows have segmental arches, while the second floor windows have flat arches, all with stone sills.The facade is all-header bond, while the remaining sides are English bond. The present roof form was built in 1894 during a remodeling. A large wing to the rear is a modern addition The interior features a central hall plan. A living room or large parlor occupies the entire space to the left of the hall. A dining room and a small parlor are on the right side of the hall. There are five bedrooms upstairs. The interior has been extensively altered, with original woodwork remaining only in one bedroom.

The Stewart House was built between 1761 and 1764 for Thomas Rutland, who sold the house in January 1772 to Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, agent and receiver-general for the last two Lord Proprietors of Maryland. He was president of the Maryland Council of Safety in1775 and became president of the Maryland Senate when it was formed in 1777. Jenifer served in the Continental Congress from 1778 until 1782 and was a delegate to the Federal Convention in Philadelphia. In July of 1772 Jenifer sold the house to Anthony Stewart, an Annapolis merchant who owned the cargo ship Peggy Stewart, which Stewart was forced to burn by Annapolis citizens outraged that he had paid the unpopular tea tax. Stewart fled to England in 1779 and his wife sold the house back to Jenifer that year. Jenifer sold the house to Thomas Stone in 1783, then re-acquired it in 1787 upon Stone's death, holding it until his own death in 1790.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via