Parham Park
Parham Park is an Elizabethan house in Cootham, between Storrington and Pulborough, West Sussex, South East England, originally owned by the Monastery of Westminster and granted to Robert Palmer by King Henry VIII in 1540. The foundation stone was laid in 1577 by the two year old Thomas Palmer, and Parham has been a family home ever since. In 1922 the Hon. Clive Pearson, younger son of Viscount Cowdray, bought Parham from Mary,17th Baroness Zouche in her own right , and he and his wife Alicia opened the house to visitors in 1948, after the Second World War when it had also been home to evacuee children and Canadian soldiers. Off the Long Gallery at the top of the house there is a fascinating exhibition which touches on the period between 1922 and 1948, with many family photographs as well as photographs of the building works which took place during that time. Mr and Mrs Pearson, followed by their daughter Veronica Tritton, spent more than 60 years carefully restoring Parham and filling it with a sensitively chosen collection of beautiful old furniture, paintings and textiles, also acquiring items originally in the house. There is a particularly important collection of early needlework. What they created at Parham is a rare survival of mid 20th Century connoisseurship within a major Elizabethan house. Now owned by a charitable trust, Parham House and Gardens are surrounded by some 875 acres (3.54 km 2) of working agricultural and forestry land.

Deer park
Around the house stretches 300 acres (1.2 km 2) of ancient deer park whose Fallow Deer are descendants of the original herd first recorded in 1628. This area had been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest. It has special biological interest for its epiphytic lichen flora, as an area for two rare beetles and its large heronry.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 8 media and uploaded a media file
    West Sussex UK location map
    about 4 years ago via OpenBuildings.com