Papplewick Pumping StationEdit profile
Papplewick Pumping Station, in the Nottinghamshire village of Papplewick, was built by Nottingham Corporation Water Department between 1881 and 1885 to pump water from the Bunter sandstone to provide drinking water to the City of Nottingham.Construction
The pumping station was designed by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton. The building has outstanding cast iron fittings and stained glass. They were paid for out of money left over after the construction of the building came in under budget. The total cost of construction was £55,000 (£4,403,333 as of 2011).Facts and figures
- Engines built by James Watts and Co, Birmingham
- 3,000,000 gallons water capacity per day
- 5¼ tons of coal per day
Papplewick Pumping Station is the only one in the Midlands which has been preserved as a complete pumping station in full working order. It was restored from 1975 onwards and opened formally on 8 June 2005 by The Duke of Gloucester.
The pumping station is open to the general public as a museum.