Palais des congrès de MontréalEdit profile
The Palais’ unique architecture is defined by the rainbow coloured glass exterior of 332 colored glass panels and 58 transparent glass panels that floods the interior with a luminous, pleasant and energizing atmosphere, and the multifunctional design of the building capable of staging large-scale conventions and exhibitions simultaneously. Unlike most convention centres in North America, the Palais is a warm and friendly venue, reflecting the city’s Latin flavour and the personality of Montréalers themselves.
The Palais des congrès is among the new wave of Montréal architectural symbols being touted worldwide. Prestigious travel guides such Lonely Planet, Hachette and Ulysse have chosen the convention centre's multicoloured glass exterior or pink concrete trees from the indoor Jardin Nature légère/Lipstick Forest for the covers of their recent Montréal issues.
Tourism articles on Montréal also recommend visiting the Palais, e.g. in the Wallpaper City Guide to Montréal, Voyage d'affaires au Québec guide and Michelin Green Guide to Québec. Finally, the Palais appears on the cover of a book titled Le goût de Montréal (A taste of Montréal) published by Mercure de France, and is listed among the architectural wonders featured in 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die.
Straddling three centuries
Despite the modern expansion work of 2000-2002, and the typically 1970s architecture of the original building, the Palais is a tribute to architectural cohesion, combining the permanence of stone with the colour and luminescence of glass. The centre successfully integrates three centuries of history in drawing upon vestiges of the old city:
the façade of the Rogers and King foundry, built in 1885, distinguished by its elaborate ornamentation owing to the mixed use of brick and cast iron;
the façade of Fire Station No. 20 constructed by Louis-Roch Montbriand in 1908, typical of the new architecture adopted by fire stations in the early 20th century;
the Art Deco style Tramways Building, built in 1928 and preserved in its entirety, where the STM Montréal transit authority continues to be headquartered;
Description from www.congresmtl.com