Palais de l'IsleEdit profile
Palais de l'Isle is a castle in the centre of the Thiou, a canal in Annecy, southern France. It was built in 1132. Its triangular shape is reminiscent of the prow of a galley anchored in the river.
It was the primary residence of the Lord of Annecy as early as the 12th century, and later became the Count of Geneva’s administrative headquarters, then alternately a courthouse, a mint, and finally a jail, from the Middle Ages until 1865 and once again during World War II. The Palais de l'Ile was classified as a Historical Monument in 1900, and today houses a local history museum.
Coordinates: 45°53′55″N 06°07′39″E / 45.89861°N 6.1275°E / 45.89861; 6.1275