Pahaska TepeeEdit profile
Pahaska Tepee is William "Buffalo Bill" Cody’s old hunting lodge and hotel in the U.S. state of Wyoming. It is located 50 miles west of the town of Cody and two miles from the east entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Cody built Pahaska Tepee to accommodate tourists traveling up the Cody Road along the North Fork of the Shoshone River to visit Yellowstone. While on a hunting expedition in November 1901, Cody marked the location of the hunting lodge with a hand ax. Abraham Archibald “A. A.” Anderson designed Pahaska for Cody sometime during 1902 or 1903 and construction started soon after. The grand opening of Pahaska Tepee was announced on July 5, 1904 in the Cody newspaper. In November 1904 Cody led a large hunting party from his new lodge for a ten day hunt. Construction was completed in 1905, and the lodge was opened to guests.
Today, Pahaska Tepee operates as a mountain resort and the original hunting lodge is open for tours. Pahaska Tepee was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Pahaska Tepee is also included on the List of Registered Historic Places in Wyoming.