Pachuca´s ClockEdit profile
Kiosk in front of the Clock.
On January 20, 1901, the musical group known as the Gang of Rural provides its first performance in a wooden kiosk in the Plaza of the Proceedings (now Independence Square), directed by Candelario Rivas.3 The band gained popularity, this context of popular splendor, a group of British mining companies proposing to the governor Francisco Valenzuela, a majestic tower building [[concert] s, led by Alfonso Maria Brito.3 The project was approved until 1904, when construction starts, but had to be suspended a year later for lack of funds.
In 1906, Governor Pedro L. Rodriguez returned to work but the idea of a monument to commemorate the Centennial of Mexican Independence, its design was by architect Thomas Lamb, and was built by engineers Luis Hernandez and Francisco Carreon.
El Reloj de Pachuca illuminated at night.
Construction began in 1906 with contributions from mining companies established in the region, the total cost amounted to approximately 300 thousand pesos gold, used in its construction quarry Tezoantla population located in the town of Mineral Monte.5
The process used in the construction was based dovetail treatment technique that involves pierce each quarry block with a cylindrical hole at the top and carve a kind of spike in the lower and the latter fits into the drilled without limestone use any material on the boards, 35 masons worked on the first stage and 29 in the second, among the latter Jacinto and Pedro Hernandez Baldovino were responsible for sculpting acroteria crowning the covers of reloj.1 To place the bells and the copper dome, was requested to intervene alacateros and besides mining company San Rafael.1
Jesus Zenil collaborator minister plenipotentiary of Mexico in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, bought the machinery for the clock in England and sent Pachuca.5 She attended factory founded by Edward John Dent and there tried to purchase the clock and carillon, which has sound the same as its twin installed on the Big Ben, the machinery came to Pachuca years before the end of the construction of the tower and the installation was done by Thomas Zepeda.5 The clock was kept first in the Chapel of the Assumption and later in the House of Rule Francisco until installed in the tower
The tower is open balconies, this was the place where the band would play, but it was a failed attempt as the height, the show could not be appreciated by people. La Banda de Rural returned to play in the kiosk attached to the tower and finally ended the monument representing the Centennial of Mexican Independence
To complete the monument was ordered dome made of sheet copper smelter in Monterrey Iron & Steel, which opened in 1900. The piece was brought by rail and placed before the opening. The monument was inaugurated on September 15, 1910 and gave his first campaign 23:00 day.5 that the early years, care of equipment and operation of the clock, was by Mr. Alberto Dross
The tower is built in neoclassical style white quarry. Each of its four sides pointing to respective corners. The tower consists of four sections or levels
The first level, the lower is the smallest and contains the rectangular doors of the monument.
The second level is a pediment of the Ionic order.
The third level contains columns with Corinthian capitals, four statues, national eagle and the dial.
The fourth level, or dome of the tower is copper and wrought iron, made in Monterrey. It contains eight bells tuned to the C major scale.
In the third level of the tower are in each of the faces, female statues of 3 m high, of Carrara marble depicting historical moments in Mexico: the beginning (1810) and the completion (1821) Independence Mexico, the constitution of 1857 and the Reform Laws of 1859. Therefore, the statues representing Liberty, Independence, Constitution and Reform
The machinery of the clock is identical to that of Big Ben in London, having been built by the same factory in Austria before the factory quemara.2 Inside, in the fourth level of the Monumental Clock, is a copper dome that houses eight different campaigns. On the cover the Roman numeral IV is written IIII
Eight bells ringing in the key of "C major" sounding every 15 minutes to the hour, the hour and a quarter to half an hour, the hour forty five and the 6:00 pm was intended to Mexican National Anthem