PacBell BuildingEdit profile
The PacBell Building or 140 New Montgomery Street in San Francisco's South of Market district is a Neo-Gothic, 435 feet (133 m) office tower located close to the St. Regis Museum Tower and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. The 26- floor building was completed in 1925 and was San Francisco's first significant skyscraper development when construction began in 1924. The building was the tallest in San Francisco until the Russ Building tied its 435 foot (133 m) height two years later in 1927. The building is illuminated at night. The building was originally called the "Pacific Telephone Building." At the time of its construction, the operating telephone company it housed was Pacific Telephone & Telegraph, a member of the Bell System. The building had a bell motif in many places on its façade, most notably surrounding the arch over the main entrance doors on New Montgomery Street. After the breakup of the Bell System (AT&T) and the formation the regional so-called Baby Bell companies, Pacific Telephone changed its name to "Pacific Bell." The tower has an "L" shaped floor plan and the architecture decoratively incorporates spotlights to light the outside of the building. The building is one of the few large Art Deco buildings extant in San Francisco. In 2007, The PacBell Building was purchased by investor Wilson Meany Sullivan and Stockbridge Capital Partners for the sum of $118 million. Since then, the building has remained vacant, and photographs taken inside have shown water damage to the terracotta work of the 26th story auditorium, though much of the interior appears to be structurally intact. Developers submitted a request for a building permit and public comment in December 2008.