Ottendorfer Public Library and Stuyvesant Polyclinic HospitalEdit profile
Ottendorfer Public Library and Stuyvesant Polyclinic Hospital are two adjoining historic buildings located at 135 and 137 2nd Avenue in the East Village, New York, NY. The buildings were designed by architect William Schickel, and construction began in 1883. The library and clinic buildings were a gift to the City of New York by Anna Ottendorfer (1815–1884), a German immigrant and newspaper publisher.
The Ottendorfer Library was the first branch of the New York Free Circulating Library, and is currently the oldest library in the city to occupy its original building. It opened on December 7, 1884.
The Stuyvesant Clinic (originally known as the German Dispensary) provided free medical care to German immigrants on the Lower East Side.
The buildings were added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 22, 1979 and are a New York City Landmark.