Opéra national de LorraineEdit profile
Opéra national de Lorraine is an opera company and opera house located in the city of Nancy in the French province of Lorraine. Formerly named the Opéra de Nancy et de Lorraine, it was given the status of "national opera" in 2006.
The company's original theatre was constructed during the reign of the King of Poland and Duke of Lorraine, Stanislas Leszczyński in 1758. This theatre, located behind the Museum of Fine Arts, was destroyed by fire in October 1905 and a new opera house was constructed in its present location on the Place Stanislas by Joseph Hornecker and was inaugurated in 1919.
Joseph Hornecker, a member of the "School of Nancy," created the opera house in the classical style combined with characteristics of "art nouveau". The work done in Nancy made it a center of art and architecture that rivaled Paris and helped give the city the nickname "Capitale de l'Est."
The opera house underwent restoration in 1994.
All productions are accompanied by the Orchestre symphonique et lyrique de Nancy.