Omaha Public LibraryEdit profile
The original Omaha Public Library building was built in 1891 at 1823 Harney Street in downtown Omaha, Nebraska by renowned architect Thomas Kimball. Designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style, the building was designated an Omaha Landmark in October 1978, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places that same year.About
Similar to the Boston Public Library, the original Omaha Public Library building is the best early Second Renaissance Revival structure in Nebraska. Byron Reed, a pioneer real estate broker in Omaha, donated the site for the building and his collection of books, manuscripts and coins.
Called "Old Main" for most of its usage, the library closed on February 16, 1977, with special attention to preserving the original exterior masonry wall roundels, copper roof, and interior iron staircase. In 1982 it was renovated as an office building called the "Omaha Library Plaza", for which it is still used as today.