Oliver Bronson House

Oliver Bronson House, also known as Dr. Oliver Bronson House and Stables, was originally built and substantially redesigned by architect Alexander Jackson Davis in 1839 and 1849. It was an early example of the Hudson River Bracketed style that he originated. Dr Bronson was the heir to an affluent banking family and was probably introduced to Davis by his brother in law, Robert Donaldson. The grounds are probably an early example of the work of landscape architect Andrew Jackson Downing.

Bronson sold the house in 1853. Afterward it was absorbed into the grounds of an institutional school and eventually a prison. It is now leased by Historic Hudson, Inc., and is potentially going to become a museum.

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2003.

  • Western exposure

  • Southern exposure

  • Northwestern exposure

  • Front terrace facing west toward the Hudson River

  • Brackets

  • Bracket

  • Exterior trim

  • Front door

  • Interior

  • Interior

  • Interior

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com